Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why S.M.A.R.T. goals aren’t so smart

It’s a great idea to set goals.  There’s no doubt about that.  You have a much better chance of achieving something if you actually plan on it and work toward it.  But I’m wondering if we’re doing ourselves any favors with some of the goals we’re setting.

Let’s talk about SMART goals.  You’ve probably heard of this technique of goal setting.  Each letter stands for a part of the goal that makes it work.  S is specific, M is measurable, A is attainable, R is relevant, and T is timely.  The letter that I take exception to is “A”.  What’s attainable?  Everything!  Anything!  “Anything we conceive, we can achieve”.  Jesus told us something similar thousands of years ago.  And today, lots of self-help gurus are telling us this, so it must be true.  If this is the case, which it is, then aren’t we doing ourselves a disservice by choosing easily attainable goals?  What good is achieving a goal if it’s too easy?  Is that really an accomplishment?  We think it is.  I think otherwise.

I’m pretty good at setting goals and achieving them.  I’m so good because I set goals low enough for me to achieve.  This isn’t serving me.  I feel good because I’ve accomplished what I set out to accomplish.  Aren’t I great?  Am I happy?  NO.  Am I wealthy?  NO.  Am I fulfilled?  NO.  So, what’s wrong with my goals?  The “A”.

Maybe we need to be setting goals that are seemingly Unattainable.  We should be setting SMURT goals.  I know, it doesn’t sound nearly as smart, does it?  I’m famous for setting goals too low.  I never fail, but that doesn’t make me successful.  It makes me an underachiever.  Is anyone else an underachiever?  Do you set your sights low enough that you can reach?  Why do we do this to ourselves?  I know that in my case I don’t think I can reach anything higher.  I don’t think I can get the brass ring.  I don’t think I deserve to have more.

Until today, one of my goals for 2011 was to get a job as an Animal Control Officer.  Is this a SMART goal?  It’s specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely.  But it’s certainly NOT smart.  My main reason for wanting to be an ACO (aside from looking good in a uniform) is to get out in the community where I can talk to people and have an influence on how they treat their pets.  I would also like to find, expose, and shut down puppy mills.  Being an ACO will provide me a platform to speak to people.  But is there a better way?  Is there a bigger way?  Why limit myself to Austin or pets or puppy mills?  Why not think bigger?  Because I may not achieve bigger.  I want something I can get, and I can get ACO.  Will this make me happy?  I’ll achieve my goal… isn’t that good?  According to SMART, I’ve done something worthwhile.  But the more I think about it, the less worthwhile I think it is.  Big deal… I get a job making $15 an hour.  Should I be excited about this?  NO.  Is this all I’m worth?  Absolutely not!

Instead, I’m going to shoot for something attainable but by no means a sure thing.  I may fail, but I don’t think so.  It might be unrealistic to some, but I’m going for it.  I’m going to be a published author and a motivational speaker.  People will pay to hear what I have to say because it’s unique, educational, motivational, and helpful to many, many people.  This is a SMURT goal, and if I fall short, I’ll still be higher than if I aimed too low.  And you know what?  I’m going to succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment